In an era of wood stoves, gas lamps, and wooden structures fire fighting was critical to the survival of any city. This picture shows the Hood River Fire Department of 1908 doing some hose exercises. We only know the names of #4 (Max Moore) and #6 (Roger Moe). The caption says the exercise was conducted at Fourth and Oak. In that era, the town hall and fire station was located on the west side of Fourth Street, just north of State Street.
Category: [Downtown Hood River]
Max Moore owned and operated Moore Electric on the west end of Oak Street. He married Arlene Winchell, of the Winchell-Neal pioneer families of Pine Grove.
Charlott on 20th July 2011 @ 7:18am
Reading some HR history: Mr Virgil Winchell, whose mother was Julianne Neal, married, in 1887, Miss Margaret Knapp. Their daughter Arlene, married Max Moore.
So Charlott, the Knapp building must be involved in the family history. Do you know anything about Knapp's?
l.e. on 20th July 2011 @ 8:24am
Hood River would not have been an easy town to manually pull a water wagon around.
l.e. on 20th July 2011 @ 8:26am
Maggie Knapp Winchell came to Hood River with her family. Her father's name was George Knapp. He eventually ended up in Gorman, which is up in Sherman County. So this could have been his store or at least possibly a son, etc.
Maggie Winchell had a daughter, Lena who took sick and Virgil Winchell took the child to a hospital in Portland. While there he got word that Maggied had died. He came home to attend to matters and was within a day or so notified that little Lena had died. Maggie and her little one are buried together in Pine Grove Cemetery.
After this Arlene (Winchell) Moore became the "mother" image for the rest of the Winchell little children.
Charlott on 21st July 2011 @ 7:12am