This view of Second and Oak circa 1911 makes it clear why paving the streets was a high priority one hundred years ago. The slushy remnants of a snowstorm made for muddy travel. Note the Second Street stairs were already in use, providing pedestrian access to homes above the city.
With the exception of the Dietz photo studio, most of these structures remain unchanged though their tenants are different. Hood River's post office can be seen on the west (right) side of Second Street, just below State. Signs advertise J.H. Heilbronner Fruitlands Real Estate and Insurance, Butler Banking Company, C.H. Jenkins Dentist, J.F. Watt Physician, Albert Sutton Architect, and a Local/ Long Distance Telephone Station. A store display reminds passers by, "Don't Overlook Underwear."
Category: [Downtown Hood River]
I think this is the corner of G williker's
Rick on 20th May 2011 @ 2:33pm
Note the long stairs going up the hill......
Charlott on 8th June 2011 @ 12:02pm
Are those Christmas banners hanging from the poles?
l.e. on 12th July 2011 @ 7:46am
Nope, not Christmas banners. They say "Public Station. Local and Long Distance Telephone." It was probably in the drug store on the corner.
Arthur on 13th July 2011 @ 9:48am
Here is a link for an article about construction of the Hall building being underway:
Jeffrey Bryant on 26th March 2015 @ 9:23pm
The Hood River Glacier, September 24, 1908
Perambulations of Local Postoffice
From Geo. T. Prather, secretary of the Hood River Pioneer Historical Association some interesting information in regard to the Hood River postoffice and its postmasters is obtained. The first postmaster at Hood River is said to have been James M. Benson who established the first postoffice here in 1859 and conducted it on what is now the Button place which he then owned. Succeeding him Chas. Coe became postmaster and moved the office to the Coe place, a short distance west of town. Henry Coe succeeded Charlie Coe and after him the office was taken by W. P. Watson, Gaines Adams, Mrs. O. l. Stranahan, R. J. Rogers, Geo. T. Prather, Mrs. Jennie Champlain, L. E. Morse and Wm. Yates.
In addition to the locations already mentioned, the postoffice here has been on the Adams place, on the hill about where Gill’s store is now located in the building, now at the corner of First and Oak streets owned by the Oregon Lumber Co. From there it was moved to the building now occupied by Carl Ross. The next change took it back to where the Eliot building now stands, but as the succeeding postmaster evidently thought variety was the spice of life he hopped it across the street to the Brosius building. In order to keep up the game of postoffice, where is the postoffice, from the Brosius building it was moved down to the Prather building, corner of First and Oak, by Mrs. Champlin. However, as it had no quite made the rounds of town, it was brought by the next postmaster back up the street to where Cram’s store is now. Before deciding finally, however, to quit perambulating for awhile the office was moved to the building now occupied as an office by John Leland Henderson and later was slipped around he corner to the Masonic block.
Jeffrey Bryant on 4th April 2015 @ 11:10pm
The Hood River Glacier, March 18, 1909
John G. Zolls commenced the laying of a cement walk in front of the new Hall building yesterday, and a cement walk will also be laid on Second street connecting with the Hall building and running to State. This will be a valuable improvement and relieve and unsightliness of the present board walks on that street. A passageway will be build under the post office building to allow of the cartage of wood and merchandise from the street under the building to the back of the buildings.
Jeffrey Bryant on 25th April 2015 @ 9:11am