Quality control. You know those were the good old days when farm kids swam in the ditches, drank water from the hose, ran in the orchards after they had just been sprayed. Never lost a one.!!!!
Charlott on 27th April 2018 @ 7:16am
Dad’s Root Beer!
Ralph on 27th April 2018 @ 7:35am
Right to left, supervisor, bagger,quality control ~
Kenn on 27th April 2018 @ 8:52am
Great photo and Kenn has done a great job of labeling.
In some ways, kids don't change.
Thanks for the chuckle.
L.E. on 27th April 2018 @ 9:48am
Charlotte, you're forgetting about Michael Ogden. I still remember our teachers at Park Street School taking us to the hospital to see the iron lung.
Buck Parker on 27th April 2018 @ 6:16pm
I'm not positive, but I think the guy on the left is Jim Craig, center is Arvid Johnson, and I have no idea who the guy on the right is.
Jim Beam on 28th April 2018 @ 3:18pm
Weird looking hats. Searching the Internet, I see that the FFA hats now have bills on them. Maybe they needed to earn their hat bill.
Jeffrey Bryant on 29th April 2018 @ 5:12am
I don't ever recall hearing of a Michael Ogden.
Charlott on 30th April 2018 @ 7:02am
Michael Ogden, b. 13 Aug 1947, d. 19 Mar 1954.
Jeffrey Bryant on 30th April 2018 @ 7:50pm
From a Robert Rodale article:
"In May 1954 the magazine reported on the story of six year old Michael Ogden from Hood River, Oregon, who died earlier in the year after coming in contact with the powerful insecticide tetraethyl pyrophosphate, known at TEPP."
And from the March 25, 1954 Corvallis, OR Gazette Times:
Memorial Hospital Planned for Boy
Friends of a six year old Odell, Ore., boy who died from effects of an insecticide launched a fund raising campaign today to build a $300,000 "Mike Ogden wing" on the Hood River hospital.
The new annex, to be devoted to pediatrics, would stand as a memorial to Michael Ogden who died last week from the paralyzing effects of a tetraethyl pyrophosphate insecticide known as TEPP.
An autopsy was conducted at the request of the Army Chemical Corps and laboratory tests will made at the Corps' Edgewater, Md., laboratories. TEPP is a commercial derivative of the Army's potent nerve gas. It has been tested extensively on animals but Michael was the first human victim on which its effects had been observed.
Funds for the annex began to reach here from all parts of the nation when Hood River volunteer firemen worked around the clock for nearly a week to keep Michael alive by artificial respiration.
L.E. on 30th April 2018 @ 8:23pm
Oh dear, yes I had forgotten about that little boy. Well TEPP was horrible....
Charlott on 1st May 2018 @ 7:05am